Thursday, March 29, 2018

Atheism and Gratitude

There's a false impression among many (most?) god-believers that atheists can't feel the emotion of gratitude because we don't consider  a supreme being as a source for the ''gift of life'', ''blessings'', and the favorable outcomes that we experience. However, as I see it, it's  not an imaginary deity who gave me life. My parents did that. But no matter how I--or any of us  for that matter--view how we came into existence,  how would we know the difference if we hadn't?  There's a quotation attributed to Mark Twain in which he supposedly said “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” That reflects my sentiments exactly.

Also  I didn't  receive the memo that says I can't feel gratitude towards the people, most of all to my wife Lydia,  who have been there for me on the journey to my present stage of life.

Still another  perspective to my particular sense of gratitude is an awareness of that for all my problems, my situation could be a lot worse.

I also have a strong appreciation and sense of awe for the grandeur of the natural world which is awesome for its beauty and web of interconnectedness that ranges from smallest  the sub-atomic particle to the  greatest supercluster of galaxies in the universe.

So I have a many things in my life for which I am grateful, and  a realization that such good fortune should not be taken for granted. That may be the most important awareness about gratitude of all . 

6 comments:

Jack said...

I've always thought that this "atheists can't feel gratitude without believing in my preferred god" is arrogant and reflects a real lack of imagination. Makes me wonder if they really struggle that much to comprehend gratitude toward other people.

Secular Guy said...

Thanks for your comment, Jack. As I've often said, if theists need a god for them to be good, how good are they really? The same goes for gratefulness.

Dainiksatta said...

fast track online MBA in India

Wow that was unusual. I just composed an extremely long remark however after I clicked present my remark didn't appear. Grrrr… well I'm not composing all that over once more. In any case, simply needed to state fantastic blog!

Secular Guy said...

Himanshu,

Thank you for your support. Of course I would very much have liked to have read your full response. I sympathize with you re its disappearance. I guess that kind of thing has happened to just about all of us, whether it's a reply to a post or the post itself.

Rick

WonApk said...

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! pandora apk latest version

Secular Guy said...

WonApk, thank you for your kind words. I very much appreciate your sentiments. It's nice to know that after all this time my posts are still being read.